Friday, July 27, 2012

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief

Paperback, 377 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Interest: Series
Published April 1st 2006 by Disney Hyperion Books
ISBN 07868386555 (ISBN13: 9780786838653)
Percy Jackson a dyslexic boy with ADHD has been kicked out of every boarding school he has attended. Weird things have occurred at each one and this time was beyond strange, while at a field trip his teacher Mrs. Dodds grows some wings and tries to kill him,. As soon as everything is over with, no one seems to remember Mrs. Dodds its as if she never existed. Percy doesn't know what is going on, now his teacher and friend are acting nervous around him talking about him behind his back and keeping secrets. Percy leaves to NYC to visit his mom, as soon as he gets there his mom starts acting as if something bad is about to happen, so she decides to take him to the beach where she and his dad met, but soon the trip turns deadly. Grover appears out of nowhere and his mom starts explaining that his dad wanted her to send Percy away to a summer camp for his own safety but she didn't want to leave his side. Percy doesn't know what's going on so they start heading to the summer camp, the minotaur that is following them grabs his mom and kills her. After killing the Minotaur Percy takes Grover who is passed out and helps him get to Half-Blood hill summer camp. And soon finds out why his whole life has been a chaos and why he is being hunted. What the people at Half-blood hill are saying is that Percy is the son of a God but they don't know which one. But will Percy learn to believe the people there?




This was an amazing book, after watching the movie i knew i had to read this series! I am so drawn to Mythology its the most intriguing subject I've ever learned about. So once i started reading this one i knew i had to read the rest. Percy is an extraordinary character. Rick Riordan keeps blowing my mind over and over again with every single chapter. I was hesitant to start reading this book since I don't really know what to expect going into a book where the main character is under 15 years old, but as soon as i started it i couldn't wait till i finished it to go onto the next one. I seriously didn't want to put it down at all. A lot of people compare it to Harry Potter although there is a lot of things throughout the book that would remind you of The Harry Potter series its kind of different on its own level. The plot was really really well written I enjoyed every minute I got to read this book I loved it.

Percy was a bad tempered, smart ass kind of kid. His character although young made you really get into the book and keep reading, you could relate to him on so many levels so it made you really enjoy it. Although his mouth got him into a lot of trouble I still liked that he stood up for what he thought was right, he tried so hard to protect Grover and himself from bullies and all the dangerous things they were about to face on the quest. Even  though he missed his mom more with each passing day he knew he had to focus on getting himself and his friends out of danger. He was basically made up of bravery, kindness, and tenacity. Rick Riordan brought to life so many amazing characters they each had their own personality and they were each given a story, and it was way better than I had expected. Annabeth was one of my favorite characters she was strong willed and powerful in so many ways. She made me laugh and trust me there was a bit of tear jerker moments when she talked about her dad.

Grover is also another one of my list of characters that I love he just keeps getting better and better with each passing page. You can tell how he continues to grow throughout the book, at first you see him as this scared Satyr but he really matures and he's braver by the end of the book.
The book is amazing i will probably reread it as soon as the second movie comes out in theater's but for now I will be reading Book 2 in the series which is The Sea Of Monsters. This series is going to continue to get better. I cannot wait to see the second movie.
    Rating 5 Lighting Bolts :)

Name Graphics

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, I'm ashamed to say that I just watched the movie and didn't read the book. DX I really liked how you talked about the characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no haha you have to read the book its a different experience when you read the book!
      But hey that's okay I watched the movie and I didn't even read the book until now.

      Thanks For Commenting :)
      Ana

      Delete
  2. I love this book and series! It really made mythology come alive. I enjoyed your review and agree with you that Grover is an excellent character. The book is so much better than the movie! So different.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the books are better they made the movie into more of a action comedy instead of how serious and fun it was. But I still love t, I was really happy to see that they brought the characters to life.

      Grover is to darn amazing, thanks for commenting!
      -Ana

      Delete