Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Matt Archer Monster Hunter By Kendra C. Highley Book Tour Stop


Excerpt 

      Before I had a chance to dig out some marshmallows for s'mores the air turned sharp and the wind gusted cold into the campfire, sending up sparks. Uncle Mike rose to his feet, with an intense, alert expression I'd never seen before-like he could eat a brick and enjoy the crunch.
   
          Without looking at me, he said, "Weather's changing; best to get inside the tent, where it's warmer."
With nothing else to do, we packed it in for the night. Mike didn't allow me to bring a cell phone or anything else electronic on our trips. I could've played cards or something, but being outside always made me tired and I went to sleep early because, yes, I'm just that exciting. On the plus side, I had the craziest dream: Ella Mitchell ditched her boyfriend for me. That's not weird-that's plain, old wishful thinking. The weird part was that she hopped up on stage during assembly and stole the microphone from Principal Stevens to do it. Then down the aisle to thunderous applause, swept her in my arms and...
"Get back!" Mike yelled.
        I sat up in surprise to see shadows moving across the tent's walls. One shadow was Mike's, distorted in the bright moonlight. The other... heck if I knew what it was. Bulky, taller than Mike by a long shot, it grunted and snorted like an angry pig. Was it a bear? I rubbed my eyes and squinted. No, definitely not a bear. The thing was much to big and shuffled along in two legs.
 
      When it roared, it didn't sound like any animal I'd ever heard, but more like a bulldozer's engine. Every hair on my scalp stood up. Whatever this thing was, it wasn't natural.

My Review and Thoughts

          From beginning to end the book was fantastic, the author really put alot of effort into this book and you can tell just by reading it. The beginning really got you more and more into it, Matt and his Uncle Mike are camping when out of nowhere Matt wakes up and suddenly, something attacks his uncle. Matt can't explain what it is all he knows is that there is a possibility that if he doesn't help his uncle might get killed. So Matt not knowing what to do wasn't just going to stand there and let this thing attack his uncle so he checks his uncle's bag and finds a knife. And he instantly knows what he is going to have to do to save his uncle. He's going to have to kill this monster, to save the only person that has been a father figure to him. Not only that but his uncle tells him the truth about what he had just seen, and none of it sounds good. The encounter is just the beginning what Matt doesn't know is that the creature he saw wasn't the only one , Mike hasn't even told him the whole story, but the question is does Matt really want to find out.

    And with that you are instantly hooked.

    Once I read the first 3 pages of the book that was it for me I was hooked and I definitely loved the beginning. It was really really good. It drew you in to the point where you had to finish it. I finished it in about a day and a half. I just loved the characters and what they all had to add to the story. Even if they weren't really the main characters Ella and Will were pretty awesome to.  Matt's character had to grow up so fast, he was going to train with his uncle to become a better, faster, stronger monster hunter. With that he had this big responsibility to protect people when he was only fourteen years old. That's a lot to put on the shoulders of a fourteen yr old. Especially when you put that much faith in a kid.

     What surprised me was that the Army was also involved, it was kind of unexpected at least to me, but I love that it was because It makes the book have a bit of realistic things in it. The action started in the beginning so you didn't have to wait that long to figure out what was actually happening, and after that the book just kept getting better and better.
   
        I really liked Mike he was a really great character even when he got all Major on Mike, I get that he was trying to help Matt out so I'm glad he started training Matt as soon as the accident happened and he didn't try to hide anything from Matt. He did everything he could to protect his niece and nephews. While still being a great uncle/Father figure. I went in with high expectations and I ended the book extremely happy because it was everything I had expected it to be and I am happy to have read it. The weapon of choice was also perfect, the descriptions, places, code names, characters, and everything else related to the book was well thought out and exceptionally written! The author did such an amazing job in every way, I highly recommend this book.


   Author Bio 

         Kendra C. Highley lives in North Texas with her husband and two children. She also serves as staff to two self-important and high-powered cats. This, according to the cats, is her most important job.
           Kendra believes chocolate is a basic human right, running a 10K is harder than it sounds, and that everyone should learn to drive a stick-shift. She loves monsters, vacations, baking and listening to bad electronica.
More information about the Matt Archer universe, works in progress and the nature of the Higgs Boson* can be found at www.kendrachighley.com

(*Yeah... not really. We'll let the scientists handle that part.)

Contact Links

Buy Links

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Ana! I appreciate the chance to stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure loved reading them both!
      Best of luck
      Ana

      Delete